- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ cups orzo
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 9 whole scallions, thickly sliced
- ½ cup water
- 3 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups smooth tomato sauce or puree (or a good, store-bought marinara)
- ¼ cup Garlic Puree (see below)
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese, divided in half
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves (about 8 ounces)
- Small handful torn fresh herbs, such as dill, mint, and/or parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Season the shrimp with kosher salt and pepper.
- Cook the orzo according to instructions and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Reserve, keeping warm.
- In a large, heavy soup pot, Dutch oven, or wok, warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over high heat. When the pot is very hot, add the garlic and shallots, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the scallions and shrimp, and sear for 30 seconds. Add the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Garlic Puree. Cook for 2 minutes and remove the shrimp to the reserved orzo. Continue to reduce the liquid until the mixture has thickened (2 to 3 minutes), and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a serving bowl in the preheated oven for 2 minutes to warm.
- To the pot, add the orzo and shrimp, half of the feta, and the spinach, and toss to combine. As soon as the spinach has wilted (about 1 minute), transfer to the preheated bowl.
- To finish, scatter the remaining feta, the fresh herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil over the top.
GARLIC PUREE INGREDIENTS
About 1 cup caramelized garlic (store bought)
With a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic cloves to a cutting board, allowing all of the oil to drain back into the container. Chop the garlic fine (or purée it in a mini food processor). Top with reserved oil and store in the refrigerator.