INGREDIENTS FOR SPICE-CRUSTED VEAL RIB EYE:
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds 1 1/2 teaspoons
- cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 2 whole star anise or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) veal rib eye roast, trimmed but with the fat cap left on, and tied
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, peeled
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPICE-CRUSTED VEAL RIB EYE:
- In a small skillet, toast the crushed red pepper, Szechuan peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, and star anise over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool, then transfer to a spice grinder and grind finely.
- Coat the veal well all over with a thick layer of the spices. An easy way to do this is to spread the spices out on a rimmed baking sheet and roll the roast in the rub, tamping the spices on so they stick. Let the veal sit at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 24 hours. (Remove the veal from the refrigerator about a half hour before roasting).
- Heat a convection oven to 250°F or a conventional oven to 275°F. If you have a flattop griddle large enough to accommodate the whole veal roast, heat that over medium-high heat. If not, cut the roast in half so it can fit into a large skillet and heat the skillet. Add enough olive oil for a light coating. Season the veal all over with salt and sear it until well browned on all sides. Transfer to a roasting pan or a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle about 1/4 cup olive oil over the meat and add the thyme and garlic to the pan. Finish cooking the roast in the oven, basting the veal occasionally, until it registers 135°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast, about 50 minutes. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let it rest in a warm place for 15 minutes before slicing it into thick slices.